Monday 1 February 2010

Essay - The Messengers

I have chosen an Annette Messager exhibition as my object to analyse for my stage one essay. It was held at the Hayward Gallery Southbank 4th March-25th May 2009 and it was one of my favourite exhibitions I've ever been to, I can always rely on Hayward. They are smart. My favourite piece was Anatomy, hand knitted jumpers and other hand knitted garments picked up at second hand shops had been unravelled to string together drawings of parts of a human anatomy.

The link between yarn and the fabric it creates really interests me. I like the comparison between sculptures made out of fabric and those made out of yarn. Fabric sculptures tend to sit in a space whereas yarn sculptures fill a space and become part of it. Is a yarn sculpture a fabric?

No comments:

Post a Comment